The John Jay Career Center, The Pre-Law Institute, and the Pre-Health Careers Advisement Center invite all John Jay students and alumni to attend John Jay’s Graduate & Professional Fair. This year, over 35 graduate programs and 10 medicine/health programs will be attending. Of the graduate programs, over twenty have masters or Ph.D. programs in sciences, from Chemistry to Anthropology and Criminal Justice. For a breakdown of all the graduate programs and the disciplines in science they represent, follow this link (excel file): Graduate Programs. You will find there a list of all the schools, their programs in science or in health, and links to their programs descriptions.
Why should you attend? You can learn about what these programs look for in their candidates and also there is a chance to win a Kaplan GRE or MCAT course. Also, many schools will be offering fee waivers for their applications. Throughout the fair, there will be a program of scheduled talks from various representatives on topics of interest for applicants to grad/law/med schools. For a full program of those talks, follow this link (word doc): Schedule of talks during the Grad Fair.
The fair will take place Wednesday October 15, 2014 in the Gym (4th floor Harren Hall) from 1-4pm.
Tips for Attending the Grad School Fair:
- Research the schools and programs (use the link above) represented ahead of time.
- Rank the schools according to your preference. Visit the schools you are most interested in first.
- Prepare questions to ask representatives ahead of time.
- Prepare answers for questions representatives might ask you, i.e. Why do you want to attend grad/med/law school? When will you be applying? What would you like to do with this degree?
- Dress professionally. Remember, you want to make a good first impression.
- Give yourself plenty of time. Arrive early and, if you can, attend the session “How to make the most of the Grad School Fair” at 12:30 in the Gym (Racquetball court).