Research Funding Outside of CUNY

By obtaining outside funding for your research at John Jay in the form of scholarships, grants, and other types of awards, you not only help fund your research but you also make yourself a more competitive candidate for professional schools.  Developing a history of receiving outside funding for research shows professional schools that you are committed to science, a competent writer, and an independent thinker.

Below are links to scholarships and awards outside of the CUNY system. You should work with your research mentor and the PRISM staff to perfect your application before you submit it. Remember: be aware of the deadlines and requisites for each award!

NSF-Graduate Research Fellowship Program

The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) helps ensure the vitality of the human resource base of science and engineering in the United States and reinforces its diversity. The program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based master’s and doctoral degrees at accredited United States institutions. Students may apply as graduating seniors and as beginning graduate students.



The Web Guide to Research for Undergraduates (WebGURU) is an interactive web-based tool intended to assist undergraduates navigate the hurdles of an undergraduate research experience. Resources available on this website include a database of research funding for undergraduate students, a guide to opportunities to do summer research experiences at other institutions and other resources to help you while you do undergraduate research.

Comments are closed